Preserve the sweet flavor of violets and try this simple recipe for violet gelatin. Use nourishing, healthy bone gelatin and fresh violets to throw together this flower food snack for after school or anytime. Plus, we have a wonderful round-up of other edible flowers and different ways to prepare them.
This is not the bright purple, boxed gelatin of your youth. Violet gelatin is, however, a gorgeous purple-pink color, being made entirely from the violets popping up all over your garden and forests in early spring.
For more flower food recipes and ideas, scroll down.
- 2 Cups Violet Flower Tea* OR 1 Cup Violet Tea Plus One Cup Organic Apple Juice
- 2 TBLS Organic Beef Gelatin flavorless
- Raw Honey to taste
To Make Violet Tea
- To make a simple violet tea, gather 2-4 cups worth of violet flowers and pinch off the green backs. Bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil and pour over the violets in a heat safe container. Cover and let steep for 2-6 hours. The longer it sits, the stronger the flavor (and the more beneficial for your health), so just taste test every so often. When its done, strain out the flowers and measure the tea for this recipe. Drink whatever is left over.
- Put the tea or the tea/juice combination into a saucepan.
- Add gelatin and stir to incorporate. Let the mixture bloom*.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a 2-3 minutes. Don’t let it go too long or will get clumpy.
- Add honey and test sweetness until it makes you happy.
- Place into gelatin mold, ice cube tray, glass baking dish, whatever!
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours OR for better results, leave in fridge overnight.
Flower Recipes for the Home and Body
Turns out we aren’t the only ones who find delectable things to do with flowers in the kitchen! Here’s a selection of some of our favorites from around the Net:
To learn more about herbal flowers and how to use them, we suggest the courses at the Herbal Academy. They’re all online, very thorough and extremely well done. To learn more, just click below.