Have extra edible flowers on hand? Made some some sugared violets for a cake and have some left over? Don’t toss them! Make this family-friendly violet popcorn and make your movie night a thing of elegance.
“Do you think amethysts can be the souls of good violets?”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Oh, how I love violets in the spring! There are so many edible flowers to enjoy, even into the summer when the hues turn bold and vibrant. Try the floral recipes at the end of the article, if you discover that you don’t want to stop with violet popcorn.
Make Violet Popcorn
Don’t feel intimidated by the idea of flowers in your popcorn. If you can operate an air popper, you can make this!
This violet popcorn is perfect for:
- Tea parties
- Jane Austen viewing or reading marathons
- Special days
- To leave as fairy gifts at Solstice and Equinox
My children lovingly call this fairy popcorn and I wouldn’t be surprised if the fairies do indulge every now and then.
- 1 Cup Popcorn in 1/4 cup increments
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- Sea Salt
- Fresh edible flowers OR sugared violets or other sugared flowers
- Gather fresh, edible flowers. Be sure you know what you're foraging - some wild blooms are NOT edible. You may also use sugared violets or other sugared flowers in your violet popcorn.
- If using fresh flowers, gently shake off any dust or debris. If you must rinse them, place them in a salad spinner to get them as dry as possible. Place them on a towel or dehydrator rack to dry completely. You may also place your blooms in the refrigerator for a bit, if you can't use them right away. Work quickly, though - blooms like violets will begin to curl up and fade rather quickly.
- Using an air popper, pop up fresh popcorn in 1/4 cup increments. OR, follow the manufacturer's instructions for your air popper.
- As the popper is popping, slowly melt the butter and coconut oil on the stove top.
- Once the popcorn is popped, add melted fats a few tablespoons at a time to the popcorn bowl as you sprinkle with sea salt and stir gently. Repeat this process, adding fat, salt and stirring until all the melted fats are gone.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Gently toss in fresh edible flowers or sugared violets.
Other Edible Flowers for Popcorn
The flowers pictured here are foraged sweet William and violets. I think we had a few red bud blossoms, too. In the summer, this popcorn will sometimes include:
- pineapple sage blossoms
- rose petals
- field daisies