If you’ve been eyeing that summer pound cake from your favorite bakery, hold onto your pocket book for just a few days more! Before you buy, make this Toasted Coconut Cream Pound Cake with wholesome ingredients, including virgin coconut oil, fresh eggs and shredded coconut.
For more ideas on how you can healthify your kitchen in simple and delicous ways, be sure to email me for your FREE sample from our book, The Do It Yourself Homestead. This book has a whole chapter dedicated to the wholesome, real foods kitchen that you want to create this year! From no-waste cooking tips (over 50 in one chapter) to learning to can and cook with healthy ingredients, this book has something for everyone. We’d be so pleased to share a sample from the book to help get you started. Just email at Tessa@homesteadlady.com and let me know what you’re most interested in learning to do in the kitchen. To learn more about the book, please follow this link, or click below.
Coconut oil has got to be one of the most well-searched keywords on the Internet – in the area of food and health, anyway. With good reason! This oil, to borrow from Benjamin Franklin, is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. If you have yet to do much research and/or you’re still wondering what all the fuss is about, here are a few articles to get you started:
101 Best Coconut Oil Uses and Benefits from Wellness Mama
Frequently Asked Questions about Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions
Virgin Coconut Oil – the book, also from Tropical Traditions. They know their coconut oil!
The Freshest Ingredients
If you can, be sure to get your hands on some fresh-from-the-animal cream. Commercial cream, even the organic versions, are ultra-pasteurized and, in my opinion, lose quite a bit of the robustness of their flavor. If you don’t have access to anything but store-bought cream, it will certainly work and will taste great in this recipe.
The same goes for eggs. If you can, try to find farm-fresh, pasture raised eggs. If you can’t get those, buy the next best thing you’re able.
I’m usually obliged to buy eggs a few times a year, even though I have chickens. I stand in the grocery store aisle for a long time trying to decide between
- “free range”
- humanely raised.
Here’s an article from Certified Humane called “Decoding the Carton” on how to figure out what you’re seeing in an egg carton label. Just do the best you can.
Pound Cake with Coconut Oil Recipe
Don’t be intimidated by the two steps and DO NOT omit the cream custard because it’s sloppy delicious.
Toasted Coconut Cream Pound Cake
Coconut Pound Cake
- 3/4 Cup Coconut oil
- 1/4 Cup Butter, softened
- 1 Cup Raw sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cup Organic white flour; All purpose flour will work We use Bob's Red Mill Organic Flour, FYI
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- Pinch Sea salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded coconut + 1/2 Cup for toasting
Coconut Cream Custard
- 1 Cup Cream
- 1/4 Cup Raw sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Cornstarch, non GMO
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C and grease one loaf pan with a bit of soft butter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the coconut oil, butter, and sugar until it is light and airy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, and flour.
- Add the eggs to the coconut oil mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and mix it together until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded coconut and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes until it springs back when lightly touched.
- Transfer it to a cooling rack for about 15 minutes before inverting and allowing it to completely cool.