This is the second installment of our three part guest post series by Amy Jones of Yayaguru.com. Please visit this post to read the first installment and to learn more about how yeast overgrowth in the human body can cause all kinds of ailments. There IS a solution, so never fear!
The information is this article is not meant to diagnose any illness or replace any directives given by your chosen medical professional. Do your own research and act only as you see fit.
Taming the Yeastie Beasties, Part 2:
You can gauge yeast overgrowth in the human body in stages. Consider the following symptoms to see if you struggle with any of them.
Stage 1 of Yeast Overgrowth
In the First Stage of Candida, the mucous membrane areas of the body may be infected. These include the mouth, vagina, nose, and Respiratory System.
Symptoms of First Stage Candida:
- Infant Colic, childhood rages, adult unexplained unprovoked anger;
- Cradle Cap, dandruff, greasy hair;
- Vaginal yeast infections; severe P.M.S.; urinary tract infections; body rashes (including diaper rash); Eczema; Acne; Oral thrush;
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep;
- Allergies to foods, dust, molds, fungus, yeast, inhalants, and chemicals;
- Repeated bouts of bronchitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, and strep or staph infections; RSV; Mononucleosis Pneumonia;
- Gas (infant or adult); unexplained tooth decay; bad breath and body odor;
- Mastitis/core, cracked, and bleeding nipples during breastfeeding; bladder weakness; spotty skin discoloration (white or brown) also know as liver or sun spots;
- Cravings for alcohol; cravings for sugar; rectal itching; persistent cough; belching; heartburn.
Stage 2 Yeast Overgrowth
The Second Stage of Candida may involve more generalized and chronic reactions.
Symptoms of Second Stage Candida:
- Unexplained weight gain or inability to keep weight on;
- Ear infections, unexplained ear discharge; tinnitus; chronic pain; headaches (including migraine); extreme fatigue ;
- Psoriasis; nail infections; muscle aches; joint pain; Arthritis; Fibromyalgia; ulcers ; infant or adult reflux; casein or gluten intolerance/celiac; ulcers;
- Endometriosis; jock itch; dizziness/vertigo; bladder infections/UTI.
Stage 3 of Yeast Overgrowth
The Third Stage of Candida may involve MENTAL and BEHAVIORAL RESPONSES:
Symptoms of Third Stage Candida:
- Inability to concentrate; not being able to read or follow a television program or carry on a hobby; serious forgetfulness; memory loss; mental confusion; not being able to think of the words to say something; switching around of words and letters when trying to speak and/or write; loss of previous skills (such as how-to-type or how-to-play-the-piano, etc.);
- Irrational thoughts; unusual fears; phobias; panic/anxiety attacks;
- Muscle twitching; irritability; violence; depression; aggressive behavior; thoughts of death or suicide;
- Epileptic seizures; infertility; Crohn’s disease; IBS; Leaky Gut Syndrome; Diabetes; Hypoglycemia; thyroid disorders.
Stage 4 of Yeast Overgrowth
A person in the Fourth Stage of Candida (also known as systemic yeast) may experience a virtual SHUTDOWN OF VARIOUS ORGAN SYSTEMS of the body.
Symptoms of Fourth Stage Candida:
- Adrenal gland failure ; Endocrine System failure; severe vomiting; severe constipation;
- Total muscle weakness; hives; boils.
- The Circulatory System may be swamped with so much yeast that the capillaries are clogged, causing high blood pressures, numbness of extremities, and easy bruising. The person may run a low-grade fever, but the hands and feet will often be very cold;
- Tachycardia (palpitations and irregular beats), mitral valve problems or heart murmur;
- In the Respiratory System, the alveoli (air sacs) of the lungs may be packed with yeast so that the person cannot get adequate breath aka asthma;
- Alzheimer’s; ADD/ADHD; AIDS; Lupus; Multiple Sclerosis; Osteoporosis; Schleroderma.
- The complete failure of the Immune System leaves the body defenseless against all enemy bacteria, viruses, and disease conditions–including cancer.
What Causes Yeast to Overgrow?
- Antibiotics, refined flours/high starch/carbohydrate foods;
- Alcohol, recreational drugs, many prescribed drugs; use of corticosteroid and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), stress (depresses or even shuts down the immune system)
- Infant formula;
- Exposure to heavy metals (via tooth fillings, vaccines, and food, tap water); exposure to artificial coloring, flavorings, and sweeteners;
- Insufficient vitamin D (in particular, not enough direct sunlight exposure);
- Consuming animal products contaminated with antibiotics or growth hormones i.e. any meat or dairy that is NOT organic; insufficient sleep; excessive traveling; pesticide/herbicide consumption.
I’m sure you saw yourself on that list somewhere! I hope it wasn’t in stage four, but either way, know that there is an answer!
Ruminate over what you’ve read so far, go back and re-read Amy’s first section from last week and be prepared for next week’s final discussion; we’ll find out what we DO about our yeast and how to balance it in gentle, holistic ways.
I remember clearly during a class when I heard Amy say, “Our bodies want to be healthy!”; that resonated with me then and has stuck with me because she’s right. There is an answer and you will find it.
Cover graphic gratefully attributed to Kat Smith, this Pexels user.